So, I've been going through a stack of old LDS Living magazines that I recently found. I'm loving this magazine and seriously thinking about renewing my subscription. Anyway, I came across this article and loved it so much that I had to share it with all of you young mothers. (If any of you have saved these magazines, it's in the March/April 2007 issue.
1. Make Getting Sufficent Sleep a Top Priority
To me, this is so important. I never realized how much I value sleep, until I didn't get any. When I am well rested, I am much more patient and much more pleasant to be around. (Ask my husband!!)
2. Be a One-of-A-Kind Mom
"There has never been another mother like you, not once on the face of the earth. So, make the most of your uniqueness as a mother." I love this one! I think all of us mothers are always comparing ourselves to every other mother out there. We need to realize that we each have different talents and abilities and share these with our children.
3. Vent Your Frustrations in Healthy Doses
This one talks about how important it is to vent when we feel our frustration levels rising. It will lighten our loads and open our minds to possible solutions to the problem. It says, "When you find your frustration level building, consider a moment for prayer, expressing your feelings in your journal, or picking up the phone and calling a friend or family member to seek a listening ear."
4. Ask for What You Need
"As moms we sometimes get caught up in the mode of thinking we have to do it all ourselves. But the truth is, if we muscle our way through, insisting we do it all alone, we are headed for a burnout. Husbands are often more capable than we give them credit." This is something I really need to work on. I often feel guilty when Geoff tries to help me.
5. Take Time Off
"Few people expect themselves to be 'on duty' all their waking hours and even some of their 'sleeping hours,' but most moms seem to expect themselves to be on duty every waking moment of their children's lives. However, almost every mom benefits from having a bit of uninterrupted quiet time tucked into each day..."
6. Acknowledge the Good You Do
Even though it's nice to hear praise over all we do, we really can't expect it from our little kids. "...pause and acknowledge to myself what I am doing well-to say, whether to myself or in my journal, things like: 'Good job, you got all the laundry done' or 'Hey, that was a good move-dropping that endless to-do list to read to your toddler.'"
7. Work Smarter, Not Harder
Basically, we need to be more organized with how we run our homes. Cooking bulk meals or using a calender system are ways that can help.
8. Energize with Exercise
I think this one is extremely important...even though I not very good about doing it. I'm going to turn over a knew leaf, and really try. Everyone know that when you exercise you have more energy. And what does every mother need? MORE ENERGY!!! We really need to make it a top priority to put ourselves first...just for 30 minutes a day, and exercise. Not only will it help us, but it teaches our kids healthy habits.
9. Be Sure To Do What Matters Most to You
"One of the big secrets of motherhood is that we can't do it all. But another important secret is that we can usually find a way to do the things that matter most to us if we will consciously let go of the things that matter less. So, what matters most to you as a mother?"
10. Give Thanks for All There Is to Love About Being a Mother
"Take time every day to pause and reflect on what you love the most about being the mother to your children. A mother who recognizes and gives thanks for her blessings is indeed a mother who knows happiness."
Sorry, for the novel, but I just loved this artcle and I hope you did to!! So, to you great mothers out there...what are your secrets to being a happy mother?????
Make it perfect.
10 years ago

4 comments:
Oh, Jenny, thank you for posting this! It's exactly what I needed to read tonight! I especially liked the one about being a one-of-a-kind mom, and the one about venting frustrations before you blow up. I will definately be trying that! I love LDS Living, and have thought about getting a subscription. Way better than most of the other parenting magazines out there.
Seriously, thanks for following the Spirit on this one, because you just gave me what I need to start a new day (less discouraged) tomorrow! Love ya!
Jenny I needed to hear this too! I thought i knew hoe hard being a parent was going to be and it is way harder! I am finding that I have too many expectations on myself and i am getting discouraged. This is just what i needed to read.THANK YOU!
That is really good and something mother need to be told all the time. I should look at getting that magazine I always wondered about it. Thanks for the info.
I love this list! Can I "steal" it??
Post a Comment