"The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together."
--Erma Bombeck
"People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway."
--Mother Teresa

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I'm feeling a little sorry for myself....

Well, I shouldn't say that I'm feeling sorry for myself......I'm feeling sorry for my poor sweet Abby. She sick....again. I'm not over her last sickness yet. It's still in the very front of my mind. I still worry about her breathing at night. I still have to check on her a thousand times while she sleeps, feeling her tiny belly to make sure it's still moving up and down. I can still hear her saying "Ma ma ma ma ma" as the nurses and doctors ran tests. Two weeks in two different hospitals. An ambulance ride. A very blue baby. A surgery.....maybe a few more. Lots of tests. Lots of doctors. Even more prayers. And many miracles. It tends to stick with you for awhile. We have tried so hard to keep her away from any kind of sickness....and I think we've done pretty good.....until this one snuck up on us.
*
The doctor kept telling me that it's nothing I've done. It's nothing I could've prevented. As a mother....you don't really believe that. Abby has had a fever for the last 5 days. The poor girl has been miserable. We figured it was either a flu bug or an ear infection. We weren't that worried about it. Her breathing was great, so we relaxed a little. I figured I'd just run her up to the clinic to get her ears checked, get some meds, and be on my way. Quick and painless trip. Well, her ears checked out fine. Her lungs sound great. She's getting 4 teeth. I kept thinking "Okay...easy. I can handle this. But why the fever?" The doctor decided to check her urine for a UTI. I really didn't think it was necessary....babies don't get those....right? Well, her urine looked awful. Plum full of infection and grossness. He's even sending it out for more tests. "Okay....get her on some meds and lets get rid of this." My mind kind of shut off the minute he said "kidney or bladder abnormalities, more testing, possibility of surgery, and Primary Children's." I'm sure he saw the glazed look in my eyes.
*

I need to keep telling myself not to get too worked up about all of this until we actually know if there's a problem. But it's my sweet baby, who's already been through so much in her short 1 year of life. I need to keep telling myself that she won't remember any of this when she's older. I need to keep telling myself that Heavenly Father has a plan for her. I need to keep telling myself that we have a wonderful doctor who is just covering all the bases so we don't have any future problems. It's just scary, ya know?

5 comments:

Aleisha said...

SO SORRY! My prayers are with you! It makes me remember when Carsen's kidneys shut down. Not fun at all. How is the preg. going?

Marta said...

wahhhhh, ((( )))) hugs and prayers to you.

*Sheigh* said...

You are in my prayers! Hope all will be okay!

Heather said...

Oh, Jenny! You will be in our prayers. You and the baby and the whole family. She's blessed to have you for a mommy.

Jeigh said...

I wish I could do something to help! I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I hope everything gets worked out--I know it will. Love ya!