"The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together."
--Erma Bombeck
"People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway."
--Mother Teresa

Monday, May 18, 2009

Smack dab in the middle of Happy Town!

For that last few weeks I have really been trying to come up with something cool to write about…sadly, I still haven’t come up with anything. For this little branch on the Meredith Family Tree, life is just fine…nothing exciting happening…just getting through each day and trying really hard to end it with a smile. The strange part is that this has really been bothering me and I don’t know why. I guess I’ve just been feeling a little dull…. like I’m not improving myself or moving forward in any way. But, I’m starting to realize that it’s okay to be dull….it’s actually quite refreshing….no life altering problems (just a few annoying ones), no contention, no heartache, just...life, I guess. And I'm happy with that!
Mary Ellen Edmunds said: "Enough of negativism! There has been too much recounting of trials and highlighting of personal martyrdom. On with remembering that life is about gladness, too. Yes! Find the joy!"
So, I guess I wanted to share with you where I find my joy (in no particular order). You know that feeling of pure joy. I just get goose-bumps when I think about what brings me the most joy.
1. My sweet red-headed husband
2. My sweet red-headed daughter
3. The gospel and a loving Heavenly Father
4. Going for walks on cool, crisp evenings with my family
5. A really good lightening and thunderstorm
6. My little apartment (especially the a/c!)
7. Picnics with our families
8. The sound of Geoff and Emily's belly laughs
9. The smells of camping in the mountains
10. Listening to good, uplifting music
This is just a small handful of things that I love.


So, what brings you joy????

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree, nothing is wrong with a "dull" life. I really liked your list and I loved the pictures at the end. You all have such a cute family.

Michelle and Travis said...

Jen-I have felt dull many a times-It better be ok! My great grandma used the phrase-Round and round. That's how it feels like life goes sometimes. You are awesome!! I love reading your blog. Thanks for reminding me about focusing on the happy things! Have a great day!

amber-girl said...

You don't know how much I wish for a "dull" life too! :) Thanks, though, for this post, because I really needed it! I really did! Sometimes, we all just need to lighten up and love life for what it is. Thanks for reminding me! You weren't even trying to come up with a good post...but you did anyway! Can't wait to see you all this weekend!

Jeigh said...

I've been feeling the same way lately. I think I'll make a list like this. I love those pictures, too! Emily is growing so fast!
I can't wait to see you guys.

Marta said...

Joy! I get it blog hopping and catching up with "my girls".

Heather said...

Well, at the moment I'm pretty happy I stumbled upon your blog. I know that all the little people in nursery bring me joy! Thanks for sharing your little bundle of joy with us every Sunday :)